Friday 9 November 2012

Well what do you know, there is a future here

Well, after nearly five years of being a casual at my workplace, I have finally got a full-time, permanent job! Hence my lack of posts again. Going from working only half days anywhere between three to six days a week, to suddenly having a nine-to-five job, five days a week is a bit of a shock. I didn't realise how hard it would be to adjust my thinking from the short-term frame of mind you acquire from being a casual, to being able to plan things long term without having to worry/stress out about the potential consequences or impact that it will have on my finances/future prospects etc. So I have gone from a general library grunt, to a Special and Rare Book Collection grunt and I couldn't be happier.

Since doing my library studies over 5 years ago I have been at a slight loss about where in libraries I would like to work and what I would like to try focus on. Once I saw this job advertised however, I found myself getting excited about the possibilities it offered. I am strong believer in libraries being a essential to human culture and ensuring that while the rest of the world pushes to go digital, we still hold on to and preserve our history as best as we can, while still providing access to it for all those who wish to see and experience it.

Also, our Rare and Special Collection has some cool stuff, such as:

Aurora Australis - the first book ever printed in Antarctica, by members of the British Antarctic Exhibition, in 1907-09. The cover of the book is made from packing cases which contained provisions for the exhibition. It's estimated that only about 90 copies were printed. 




A book by Helen Keller, with her handwriting in the front. For those who might not know, Helen Keller was deafblind and managed to achieve many incredible things. She's a lot more awesome then I am capable of making her sound, see her wiki page for details

Her handwriting is nicer then most of my family members' handwriting.

I'm sure I will have more pictures of some of the cool things in my new area as well as some stories to go with them.

Once I get used to my new schedule I should hopefully get back to posting more frequently again.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment