Saturday 25 August 2012

Pet Spotlight: Raiden

It wasn't until Wrath of the Lich King was announced when I really started to get more interested in the taming of pets. With the increased stable size up to 5, as well as exotic pets, collecting pets was becoming a lot more attractive.

It was while following the information coming out of the Beta that I came across the pet which would change what being a hunter meant for me. 

The moment I saw Loque'nahak I knew I had to find and tame him. The fact that he was a rare-spawn, who could potentially spawn in one of several locations and was possibly only available for 10-15 minutes before despawning again did not deter me from desperately wanting this pet.


The moment I hit level 76 I instantly began the hunt for this magnificent beast, only to learn two things which put some rather significant dents in my plan of getting my dream pet.

1. Attempting to circle Sholazar Basin on a ground mount at level 76 takes a very, very long time, and.
2. I am incapable of camping anything.

Despite my best efforts to try and devote time to finding Loque, I learnt the hard way that finding this pet, especially with so much competition from other hunters, was going to much harder then I ever anticipated. Searching became easier once I hit level 80 and was able to start flying, but without the time and more importantly the patience, it was looking more and more like the pet I wanted more then anything else, was going to be the pet I would never get.

As my unsuccessful hunting streak continued, hunter blogger Big Red Kitty was partaking in the Loque'nahak frenzy. Having shared his story of a successful tame, he was now running a segment on his blog devoted to the success stories of other hunter's long awaited tames. These stories were disheartening, and yet hopeful in many ways, however time after time I returned to Sholazar Basin only to be let down. My Loque hunting was reduced to the occasional fly-by when I was in the area and little more.

All of that changed one evening when I was reading yet more success stories and I found myself suddenly inspired to log in and fly over to Sholazar Basin for just one fly-round, just to try my luck. I began my circuit near the undead area, pausing briefly over each area to check the Track Beast dots on my mini-map for the elusive Spirit Beast. As I flew over my second check point I nearly had a heart attack. Right before me, casually strolling around amongst the gorillas, was my Loque. As I plummeted down to the ground I filled my guild chat with "ARGH!!!" and other similar exclamations. Hands shaking, I barely managed to dismount, target him and find my tame button, eyes flickering between my surroundings for any other hunters or general jerks, and my taming cast bar.

As the successful tame flash appeared around my new companion, I found myself breathing in for what felt like the first time since I had first spotted him. After so many unsuccessful circuits, seeing so many others with him by their side and reading so many stories from others he was finally mine.


After fighting by my side for the first time, he earned the name "Raiden," named after the Japanese god of Thunder, reflected in rolling growls and blinding flashes of his special attack.

Since his taming so long ago he has been my most steadfast and loyal companion. Together we have quested, explored, PVP'd and raided, accompanied by the sound of the thunderstorm has followed us everywhere.

And together we shall ride the storm into the Mists of Pandaria.


No comments:

Post a Comment