Monday 20 August 2012

The First

(I wasn't going to put up three posts in one day, but I wanted to get some groundwork down - that and I got a bit excited about getting started *blush*)

The first pet Dali tamed was a ravager. He lasted right up to the point where I encountered my first cat.

I had owned this particular skin on one of my original hunters, and knew I had to get him again. He was nothing fancy, just the stock standard Night Elf starting area cat, but together "Mightypaws" and I wrecked havoc upon whichever unsuspecting bad guys we got pointed in the general direction of. It was not long after entering Stranglethorn Vale however when I encountered:
 

The Shadowmaw Panthers. I feel in love with the sleek glossy black skin, and the fact that they came with Stealth (if my memory serves me) was just an added bonus. After much deliberation I decided it was time to let Mightypaws return to his home of Teldrassil and find myself a new companion, one who might find himself better suited to long travel and bloodthirsty battle. It was then that I learnt one of the most important things you need to know when you are a hunter.

You cannot tame pets which are a higher level then yourself.

There was a gap of a least two levels between myself (now petless) and my desired pet. In fact, all of the versions of this skin, were a higher level then myself. You could perhaps hear my wail of despair several zones away. After a brief stint with a trash pet, I returned to once again claim an elusive Shadowmaw Panther as my own. Who make me work for my tame by being extremely difficult to find. At the time these panthers were stealthed around the zone, and they all varied in levels. I can imagine I might have looked a bit strange to any onlookers, running aimlessly around the base of trees waiting for large black panthers to leap out at me so I could check their level, then running away when they were to high to tame. (If I were a better artist I would draw a picture, instead just try picture a draenei creeping around calling "here kitty, nice kitty" then running away yelling while waving her arms in the air)

Finally I found the right one, and "Greebo" (named after Nanny Ogg's bad tempered mean old cat in the discworld novels) joined me on my continued journey.

It was some time before Greebo (the nasty biting little demon he was) was encouraged to retire to the stables in exchange for a younger, perhaps less volatile companion.


Viggo (the destructor) inspired by the bad guy in Ghostbusters 2, and each time I spoke his name aloud it was in a drawn out "spooky voice" (Veeee-goh) with a squinty eyes and shoulder hunching. This was occasionally accompanied with evil laughs.
Viggo has stayed with me ever since, though he has spent increasingly more time in the stables of late, he is still one of my favourite pets. Whom I doubt I could release after all this time. Though he has changed somewhat over time, especially notable after a long term stable stint during Wrath when I went to retrieve him to discover that he had someone aquired black stripes. My first thought was "Viggo has evolved!" Either that or kids are breaking into my stables and painting my pets while they are sleeping. It wasn't long after that (which happened to coincide with a brief trip to Winterspring *shifty eyes*) that he returned to his former pure white beauty. Now Viggo has grown past his youth and sports a little extra colouring on his coat waiting patiently for the day I require his assistance once more.




(As a note for future posts - I am not much of a roleplayer, I am however a bit of a storyteller (or so I like to think). So my posts will be a combination of my personal reflections and opinions, with a character mindset spin. - If that makes any sense. It probably doesn't. Also please forgive any lousy grammar and sentence structure. It's been a long time since I've written anything. Another reason for deciding to start this blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment