Wednesday 26 September 2012

Taming Mists: Savage

With the announcement of the new hunter rare pet system and tracking "challenge" I only really found myself looking forward to one of the pets available from the start and that was Stompy - the grey goat.

However, I can't resist a challenge - that was the reason why I tamed Ban'thalos, and the reason I tamed Deth'tilac. While I had no burning desire prior to coming across them in the wild to tame, once I saw them there I couldn't resist, now they are two of my preferred pets. The same thing happened today with Savage.

Running around the Jade Forest, intending to explore my last uncovered area, I came across the Bloody Tracks.

For those who haven't been following the Mists information, there is now a new way to tame hunter specific rare pets. In the previous expansion, these pets only dropped useless items - however they were often still killed by other players, generally to upset hunters. With Mists, hunter only beasts are invisible to everybody, the only sign that they are in the area are tracks visible on the ground which only hunters can see. Hunters need to follow the tracks (backwards oddly enough) until they can see the tracks appearing before their very eyes, then they use the hunter ability "Flare" in the next estimated location of the pet in order to expose them - then you tame away! (For more details go and see Kalliope over at her blog, she's got some wondeful video guides for each new hunter only pet)

Now that everyone is up to speed, back to the story.

I admit seeing so many successful Savage tame stories today and getting a few good looks of his skin in the game environment made me more inclined to tame him, however I wasn't going to go out of my way to get him. I have limited stable slots left and already had two cats in my stable. As always though, plans change.

After coming across his tracks I decided to give following him a shot, after all - I would need the practise for tracking and taming Stompy when the time came. I guess I got really lucky because I only had to follow his tracks around (and I mean around, I found myself running in circles trying to locate the next one) for about 10 minutes or so before I finally managed to flare him out and tame him for my very own!

Unfortunately to get him I had to temporarily release Ryker, my orange and purple riding skin raptor that I recently got from Drak'Tharon Keep, whom I have fallen in love with (despite having never really "clicked" with the raptor models before). So looks like I will be making a trip out to Drak'Tharon again very soon.

I also decided to release Nathaniel - one of my cat skins. He hasn't seen as much play time as he used to, so Savage will take his place as my alternate cat for now.

The hardest thing to do now, is to name him. I am torn between giving him a brand new name, or considering transitioning Viggo into another new skin - thus leaving myself with one cat.

Despite my initial lack of interest in Savage, I will admit that he is a beautiful cat, and I am very happy to have found and tamed him :)


Happy Hunting!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your tame! I'm glad that you had such an easy time tracking him. Not everyone should have to go crazy like I did! xD Whatever you decide, Savage is certainly a gorgeous creature. Enjoy him. I know I've been enjoying my own feline. :3

    ReplyDelete